5 Ways Your Association Can Keep Members Engaged in Q4
The holiday season is a magical time, but for associations, the holidays can be stagnant. Members are focused on their families, not the association, decreasing member engagement. However, the fourth quarter offers unique circumstances that, with the right tricks and strategy, can actually increase member engagement.
When creating your engagement strategy for Q4, there are several key things to remember. First, be creative – it’s the holiday season, so have a little fun and incorporate the holidays into your strategy. Second, don’t go overboard – but don’t be skimpy either. Find a balance. Too much communication from the association can decrease engagement just as quickly as no communication at all. Finally, show your gratitude. A simple “thank you” can go a long way.
Now it’s time to determine your association’s specific strategy and components. Here are five ways you can keep members engaged during Q4:
- Content: The holidays can get quite chaotic and sometimes things go by the wayside. Make sure your content doesn’t become one of those cutbacks. Even if the content is created ahead of time, regular distribution of new content promotes regular engagement. Content can come through your blog, a press release, etc. But, don’t forget one of the most important platforms of all: social media. Social media has proven to be an effective membership tool for associations – and it can be key in engaging customers during this time of year.
- Emails: Regular email newsletters should continue throughout the quarter. This is a great way to communicate several messages at one time to all members. In addition, sending an e-card to your members is a great way to show you care about them – a member who feels cared about will feel loyalty in return.
- Surveys: Because it’s the end of the year, it’s a great time to review your association. What better source for useful feedback than your members? Send out a short survey to your members asking for their input. Ask members what they want, what they don’t like and what they expect from the association in the upcoming year.
- Offers: Provide your members with an exclusive offer – one that is only good during Q4. Offer a discounted annual fee, a free webinar or invitation to an industry event – determine what your association has to offer that won’t break the bank.
- Charity: The holiday season is filled with the “spirit of giving.” Most people want to become a part of that giving spirit, but many times, they don’t know how or where to start. Your association can fix that, though. Partner with a charity or two, and as a group, volunteer your time or set up a collection. Not only are you giving back to your community, your members are engaged – and your association gets a good name.
These five ideas are just a few of many options, but they are a great starting point. Typical engagement strategies based on research and data are still necessary but, in Q4, you can bend the rules. You need to reach your members where they are – at home with family, celebrating the holidays. Incorporate the holidays, reach members through communication platforms used outside of work, and … say “thank you.” After all, aren’t you thankful for their membership and continued engagement?